About Washington Independent Review of Books
Who We Are
Welcome to the Independent, a nonprofit website dedicated to book reviews and writing about the world of books. The Independent was launched in 2011 by dozens of writers and editors (mostly in the Washington, DC, area) who were frustrated by the disappearance of high-quality book reviews and book-review sections in major newspapers. It has since grown exponentially.
We post new content every day, including:
- Thoughtful reviews of new and not-so-new books.
- Q&As with leading authors, essays, podcasts, and whatever other literary (or just fun) pieces we think you’ll enjoy.
- Monthly poetry, romance, and children's roundups.
- Biweekly book blogs from a diverse array of columnists.
- Links to bookish events happening around the Washington, DC, region. (Have one coming up? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org!)
Like we said, the Independent operates as a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization. Please consider making a donation to support our effort!