5 Most Popular November Posts
- December 3, 2014
We here at the Independent love every piece we run. There are no winners or losers. Having said that, here are November’s winners.
- A review of Jamie Malanowski’s Commander Will Cushing: Daredevil Hero of the Civil War. Grayson Clary’s punchy critique of this little-known sailor’s biography intrigued hundreds of armchair historians.
- “Bedtime Stories.” A perennial favorite, November’s installment showcased the titles that bestselling author Chris Bohjalian, radio producer Tayla Burney, and DC-based writer Paula Whyman have stacked up on their nightstands.
- “8 Rules for Giving Books” by David Stewart. Readers appreciated this handy how-to guide for navigating the minefield that is holiday-gift-book buying.
- An interview with William McPherson. Michael Causey’s insightful Q&A — which first ran in 2013 — was suddenly very hot last month. Maybe you’re all just really slow readers?
- A review of Ismail Kadare’s Twilight of the Eastern Gods. It’s obvious why Holly Smith’s look at the recently translated work by the Albanian Kadare drew lots of eyes. Who doesn’t love grim, sobering stories about Soviet-era Moscow?